Thursday, 6 March 2008

Mothering Sunday

Over here, Mother's Day is in March, not May. And all the cards say 'Mum', which make it difficult to find a card for my mother who resides in Georgia. However their is an alternative for us 'moms' living in England.... Homemade cards!


So its called Mothering Sunday over here, which is apparently because it was originally a day where Christians returned to there 'mother church' to worship on a certain Sunday in the month. And somehow the card companies took over and made it into a holiday where its obligatory to buy cards, flowers and chocolates. The other big thing over here is taking your 'mum' down the pub for a nice Sunday roast.


However, that didn't happen in our house. We celebrated our Mothering Sunday on a budget, complete with oragami flowers and a hike up our local hills.


I loved my first Mother's Day, however I do think I would prefer to celebrate in May, when its a bit warmer!

No comments: